CIB -Italian Biogas Consortium- represents the biogas-biomethane production in agriculture, aiming to be the national reference point for the industry
CIB is the first voluntary aggregation that brings together biogas and biomethane producers from renewable sources; industrial companies supplying plants, technologies and services to produce biogas and biomethane; Institutions that promote anaerobic digestion in agriculture.
CIB was created by biogas producers and operates across the whole Country.
CIB is also a founding member of EBA (European Biogas Association), being therefore authorized to represent the biogas interests at European level.
To promote the development of biogas and biomethane to achieve the renewable energy targets set at European and national level. The Consortium aims to be a reference point for institutions in the national, regional and local legislation choices. For this, CIB is active in biogas and biomethane development through the continuous improvement, optimization and innovation of production processes.
- Promotion of biogas and biomethane according to the European and national policies on energy, environment and agriculture.
- Growth of farming activities, driving a sustainable integration between agro-energy production and livestock farming with benefits for the environment (less CO2 emissions), the soil (less Nitrates) and the farm’s income.
- Optimization of production processes to improve the management of the biogas plant, through the combination of Anaerobic Digestion technologies with other industrial and agricultural practices, fostering an ecological agricultural intensification and increasing the resilience of farmers to ongoing climate change effects following the principles of Biogasdoneright®.
- Social and economic development by creating new jobs and the valorisation of the territory.
- Lobby and relationship with European and National regulatory authorities to promote and support the development of biogas and biomethane sector.
- Technical services for the Members in the following fields:
- Regulatory compliance
- Certification (currently under implementation)
- Field Trials to test crop varieties and intercropping, digestate distribution techniques, agriculture mechanization improvements, conservative agriculture, irrigation and fertigation systems, agronomic knowledge dissemination.
- Research & Development: CIB coordinates and takes part to research projects concerning biogas, gasification, biomethane and biomethane liquefaction, Power-to-gas, carbon capture storage (CCS) and new biomasses utilization, collaborating with Universities, Research institutes and consulting firms. CIB provides training and information, working with Local Communities to disseminate the principles of environmental sustainability, energy efficiency, renewable energy.
- CIB currently joins three H2020 projects: Biosurf (BIOmethane as SUstainable and Renewable Fuel); ISAAC (Increasing Social Awareness and ACceptance of biogas and biomethane); Sabana (Sustainable Algae Biorefinery for Agriculture aNd Aquaculture).
- Organization of Biogas Italy, the main biogas and biomethane event in Italy.
- Participation to conferences, fairs and exhibition on biogas & biomethane, gasification, co-generation, agriculture & livestock, renewable energies.
- Publication of CIB’s quarterly house organ Biogas Informa in Italian and English, periodical newsletters and a daily press review on biogas and gasification.